An Extraordinary Gardening Event
Part of the fun for us is sharing our love and knowledge of plants with you.
Each year, Sister Plants compiles a list of the perennials, grasses, herbs, shrubs, trees, and vines that will be sold at the plant sale. This list will be emailed in early May to those requesting it.
Visit the Sister Plants Sale Information page to request a sales list and for details about this year’s sale.
The collectors among us order from catalogs from all over the USA and travel to distant places searching for varieties that are difficult to find locally. If a plant passes the survival test in our gardens and is relatively easy to maintain, when it matures, we are able to propagate it for sale. A small percentage of our plants have been ordered through wholesalers to expand the varieties we offer.
Sometimes it will be years before a particular plant will be ready for dividing again, so we cannot guarantee future availability.
Be sure to see our list of "Sister Plant Favorites"
Because our plants haven't been over-fertilized or grown extended seasons in pots, they are not root-bound and normally transplant very well. If you cannot place an adoptee immediately in its new home, keep it moist and shaded.
Note the growing conditions on the pot label. It is extremely important to keep anything that is newly planted well watered until established. Trees and shrubs especially need weekly soakings until the ground freezes.
We strongly suggest cataloging your perennial purchases, either on the computer or on index cards. This will be invaluable as your plant addiction grows.
Schedule a gardening consultation with Terry Hale. Terry will visit your property for 2½ to 3 hours, evaluate your site and plantings, offer concrete suggestions geared to your personal aspirations, and answer your specific gardening questions.
Advice is offered on garden design, problem areas, pruning, identification, plant selection, resources and implementation.
The cost is $65 for properties within a 10-mile radius of Reading, Massachusetts, and $75 beyond. Consider an artfully presented gift certificate for the hands-on gardener on your gift list or for a new home owner.
- Contact Sister Plants about a gardening consultation for a date after the sale.
Want to research more information about specific plants? Visit these links we think you might enjoy:
- A search cross-reference with a great plant photo gallery.
- An excellent source for plant descriptions.
- A listing of Massachusetts invasive plants.
- An extensive plant information site that includes: botanical and common name cross reference, Latin name pronunciations, resources, plant finder tool, and more.
- Gardening articles and references. Note kid friendly resources at the bottom of the page.
- Gardening resources, encyclopedia and tutorials.
- Flowers, plants and gardening for kids.